Sunday, January 6, 2019

SWYPO Sunday: Grain Free Buns

WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING
This recipe below is a SWYPO and NOT ALLOWED during a round of Whole30.  Recreation of breads, rolls, sweets, treats, etc. is forbidden on a 30 day round.  This recipe is to be used during Food Freedom phases ONLY. 
WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING



I have been gluten-free for many, many years.  Finding bread, rolls, etc. is often difficult and disappointing.  Thankfully, the gluten-free craze across the country has expanded the choices and quality over the years.  These items, however, still usually do not fit into a Whole30 Food Freedom Lifestyle.  For me, I really do try to stay within the guidelines of Whole30 at least 90% of the time during Food Freedom.  I'm usually 100% "ingredients wise" while at home, and allow off-plan ingredients only when out of the house. That being said, I really enjoy these buns while off-round and at home.

My plan right now, until I can get prepped, ready and in the mindset for a compliant Round of 30 days is to go 6 days 100% compliance, while allowing SWYPOs and treats on only DAY of the week.

I've made this recipe for many years.  It's adapted from one that I pinned years ago on Pinterest.  This is NOT the original recipe, and as of last check, the original recipe no longer actually exists on the internet, which I would totally have linked here if it was!

My adaptations, to me, improved taste, texture and nutrition. These are a very high-fiber, high-protein bun that is versatile and can be used for breakfast in a breakfast sandwich, lunch with compliant lunchmeat, or dinner with a drippy delicious burger. The ingredients for this recipe couldn't be easier.


I hope that you like it (when you are NOT ON A ROUND...it's a SWYPO) as much as I do.



SWYPO Grain Free Buns

Ingredients: 
1 1/2 Cup Almond Flour/Meal
1 Cup Flax Meal
10 Tbs psyllium husk
4 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp sea salt
6 egg whites
2 cup boiling water

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all dry ingredients to a bowl.
3. Blend in the egg whites using a mixer
4. Add boiling water and keep blending until you have dough.
5. Divide Dough into 8 even pieces. Shape dough into buns, you can make them flat as they do rise a lot)
6. Place the buns on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
7. Bake for 55 minutes.
8. Let cool completely prior to cutting.


NOTE:  You can spray the top with avocado oil spray and sprinkle with seasonings or sesame seeds.






No comments:

Post a Comment