Friday, January 18, 2019

Whole30 Philly Pepper Steak & Eggs



Philadelphia.  City of Brotherly Love. Home of the Eagles, Superbowl Champs LII.  Famous for their Cheesesteaks.  I've eaten a lot of them in my day.  Love a good cheesesteak.  Of course the question that always comes up is Pat's or Geno's?  In my book, NEITHER!  There's tons of places in south eastern PA to get a killer cheesesteak.  WAIT!?  NO DAIRY!  NO GLUTEN! A pile of plain old shaved steak meat sounds kinda boring.

This is NOT a boring breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Easy to whip up.  And so easy to eat while being very satisfying and compliant.  I put my air fryer to work again and added some spiced wedgie fries to go with it. 


2 lbs Chipped Steak Meat (I get from my local grocery store in the meat dept)
1 large green pepper, diced
1/2 medium red pepper, diced
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 Tbs Bacon fat, Ghee, Avocado Oil or Light Olive Oil (I prefer the bacon fat...because...bacon fat!)*
1 Tbs Nutritional Yeast (optional)
Eggs ( as many as you need for your clan, prepared how you like them)

In a large skillet, set on medium high heat (I use a 12" Fry Pan) heat your fat source, add diced peppers and onions and sauté, stirring often.  Cook for about 5 minutes until crisp tender, and some pieces have a slight char on them (be careful not to burn).  

Add chip steak to the skillet, separating as you add it in.  Allow the meat to sear a little and stir around, breaking up a little as you stir.  Cook for another minute or two and stir again.  The meat will cook very quickly.  If you're adding the nutritional yeast, sprinkle over the meat after the first minute or two, making sure to stir it in well so that it dissolves.  This will give a cheesy flavor without adding dairy, but it is not necessary, and will still be quite delicious without it. 

While the meat is finishing up, prepare your eggs to your liking in a separate skillet.  My family is partial to over-easy and over-medium eggs so that the yolks can ooze onto the meat. (okay, I might have just drooled on my keyboard there!). 

I also like to add sautéd spinach just under the egg to add a bit more veggie, if you like.  

ENJOY!






*NOTE ON BACON FAT AND WHOLE30....only ever use bacon fat if your source is organic and free from nitrates & nitrites.  While nitrates and nitrites are okay on Whole30, when rendered into fat, they are not good for you, especially when reheated.  The brand of bacon I use is organic and uncured so the rendered fat is pure.  After cooking my bacon, I allow it too cool slightly and strain through cheesecloth and store in clean glass jar. Just like my great-grandma used to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment